Avista ready to respond to outages from expected winds
Report outages online at www.myavista.com or by calling (800) 227-9187
Spokane, Wash. Oct. 12, 2020: With a wind advisory issued for Avista’s Idaho and Washington service areas on Oct.13, Avista is ready to respond to outages that may occur.
Preparations include ensuring vehicles are fully stocked with materials needed in outage restoration, alerting employees who are in outage restoration functions, and making sure crews are positioned and ready to respond.
“Restoring power to our customers as quickly and safely as possible is our top priority,” said David Howell, Avista’s director of operations. “If outages do occur, we will work around the clock until all customers are returned to service.”
Reporting an outage
Customers experiencing a power outage are encouraged to report it online or through their mobile device at www.myavista.com or by calling (800) 227-9187. Updated outage status information, including estimated restoration times, is also available on Avista’s website.
Preparing for an outage
Avista suggests customers take the following steps:
• Make sure cell phones and other mobile devices are fully charged
• Flashlights have fresh batteries
• Have water and non-perishable foods on hand
• Use a manual can opener
• Know how to manually open and close any electric garage doors, security doors, and gates.
• Know the operating requirements of your gas equipment. Appliances with electronic ignitions will not work because electricity is needed to ignite the gas and devices such as central heating and gas clothes dryers need electricity to work as well.
More suggestions for preparing for a power outage and what to do during an outage, along with information on the outage restoration process is available at myavista.com in the Outage Center. Avista’s mobile app can be also be downloaded in the Outage Center and via iTunes or Google Play. Registered customers can also text ‘OUT’ to 284-782.